Saturday 25 August 2012




Home Coming
The occasion was somber that made me pay a hurried visit to Durgapur yesterday-Nephew’s wrist bones got fractured while playing football at school. Reached straight to the hospital where the surgery was scheduled at 9.30 AM. After the anxious moments at the hospital while the surgery was on, the beaming face of the doc coming out of the OT brought much awaited respite and relief. It was only then that I could go home (once mine now it can only be referred as ‘Baper Bari’- where my parents live). Maa was waiting for us to reach home after the operation was successfully completed. Every time my car stops at the gate way of our small bungalow, I witness a masque of motley imageries- this time too was no exception. Maa invariably comes out to open the gate and smiles a smile that makes me realize yet again what home coming is. The garden of our house in Durgapur basks with the glory of my father’s green fingers through out the year. The magnificent roses and the supple leaves of the vegetable plants embody the love and affection that the house harbors for me. After a simple lunch (the occasion demanded to keep it simple) it was time for visiting the little one again. Evening was rather happy as the child was smiling and almost back to his normal happy self except for his plastered hand that demanded him to be in bed and thwarted willful mobility. As baba and maa was doting over their grandson me and my sis finished our own chiti-chat, as much it could be done in such a short time. By the time we came back fatigue started overpowering me and had to call it a day after quick dinner.

Next morning was the time for leaving what has been my home for 25 long years, yet another time. As usual maa was ready with tiffin box full of goodies- each meant for each one of us- sweets for Mohor, Hisla for Ritwik and hot chips and Coconut cookies for me. The boxes are always packed and securely fastened by baba so that nothing gets mixed or wasted. Goodbyes are always a sad affair- but my goodbyes from Durgapur have always been very composed and silent (except on the occasion of wedding). Maa and baba see me off with a simple word of giving them the news of my reaching Kolkata safely.

My tryst with the steel city tells me that what ever happens in the strife of life at the big city with big issues- a cool, green and soft shelter will be there for me for this lifetime to fall back on J

1 comment:

  1. Very touchy and wonderfully narrated. I like your simple style of story telling. Well done!

    ReplyDelete